In this wide and vast social media marketing land, what do hotelier’s need to know about social media networks to make good marketing decisions? Knowing how people are using these social media networks will help you decide where to focus your social media marketing efforts and dollars.
Consider these recent survey, report and study results:
- 65% of adults are now using social networking sites according to a Pew Research Center report
- According to MediaPost, the average person spends more time online than watching television and the largest advertising medium is the Internet.
- A CMO survey found digital marketing budgets and spending is predicted to grow 12% in the next year
- In the U.S., an estimated 185 million people use social media in 2016 and forecasted to exceed 200 million by 2020.
- At least 60 percent of the population in North America has at least one social networking profile.
- Customer service was the focus of an American Express report of how U.S. customers use social media networks: 50% seek responses to a service issue, 48% praise the company for good service and 46% vent about poor service.
- A Forrester study showed that 55% of U.S. adults would abandon their purchase if they can’t get a quick answer to their question.
So now the question is: Which network(s) can zone in on your hotel’s targeted audience ensuring successful campaigns? Here are some stats from the more popular social media networks to consider:
- Facebook now has 1.59 billion monthly users and 91% of them are millennials between the ages of 15 and 34.
- There are 1.44 billion mobile monthly users on Facebook and mobile accounts for most of their digital ad revenue.
- 6 percent of Facebook’s daily active users are outside the U.S.
- YouTube has over a billion users viewing millions of hours of videos every day and reaches out to 18 to 34-year-olds.
- More than half of YouTube views come from mobile and reach out to 18 to 49-year-olds, more than any cable network in the U.S. and with an average viewing session of 40 minutes.
- 80% of YouTube’s views are from outside the U.S.
- Twitter has 310 million monthly active users with 83 percent of them active on mobile.
- Twitter states they have 1 billion unique visits to sites with embedded Tweets on a monthly basis
- Instagram just announced that they are 500 million strong and that more than 300 million of these use Instagram every day.
- For global reach, Instagram says that 80% of their users are outside the U.S.
- On a daily basis, more than 80 million photos are shared on Instagram with 3.5 billion likes.
- eMarketer forecasted that Instagram ads would bring an estimated $2.81 billion in mobile ad revenue globally by 2017.
- Snapchat has recently updated their stats to show 100 million daily users with 10 billion video views per day and a reach to users between the ages of 18 to 34.
- Nielsen is collecting data on Snapchat video ad views for a comparison to traditional television advertising in their Digital Ad Ratings program.
Any way you slice it, dice it, bake it or grill it, digital marketers need to raise brand awareness and increase engagements that could bring along revenue opportunities. What better way to do this than understanding your audience and using the right social media network to reach them.