Why Hotels Need SEO
When SEO is mentioned as something you should have for your hotel, how do you react? Ambivalent because you find it is a waste of resources? Trepidatious because it is unknown? Excited because you know it has value?
Many hoteliers may respond with any mix of these emotions and that’s ok. SEO is a powerful tool in your marketing arsenal, but its true value is often underestimated. SEO is not a one-time thing, nor is it something hotels can afford to overlook, especially in certain situations.
Which situations? We’re glad you asked! Our recommendation is that hotels have an SEO plan and strategy implemented at all times, but because we realize this isn’t possible for all properties, I’ve share a list below of times hoteliers should absolutely hire an SEO. The list is comprised of situations every hotel has faced at some point. These often complicated times can be improved with expert SEO strategy. When used correctly, it helps to increase your bookings over time and eliminate the pitfalls your competitors often make in these same situations as it affects the rest of your digital marketing more than you may realize.
6 Times Hoteliers Should Hire an SEO
Anytime you do or experience the following, utilizing SEO can profoundly impact your efforts — whether it is in website design, content creation for your site, a social media campaign, improving search, updating your local business listing or staying on top of algorithm changes.
- Website Redesign – You need a SEO to work with your web development, graphic design and marketing teams from the beginning. The SEO team is responsible for your keyword management, information architecture, image names and directory structure. They are also the part of your team that integrates web analytics, webmaster tools and schema information on your site.
- Social Media Marketing – If your hotel has a social media presence, it needs SEO. The two should be working hand-in-hand ensuring that your promotions and marketing efforts stay consistent. As you work to establish solid social media content, your SEO helps you with keyword structure and link building efforts, ensuring the proper marketing messages are sent at the right time.
- Search Engine Ranking – Your competitors are using SEO to rank well in the search engines and gain followers on social media. If you don’t stay on top of (and ahead of) your competition by implementing an SEO strategy, it means a loss in bookings and search engine traffic.
- Create Site Content – Every time you create content for your website, you have to SEO the content. This includes keyword research, writing titles and descriptions and ensuring your site code has all proper SEO elements.
- Local SEO – For smaller hotels, Local SEO is not as easy as it looks. A lot of SEO goes into making sure you are listed in the proper way across multiple directories, that your NAP (name address phone number) are all the same in your website code and the directories. In addition, hotels are unique in that they change ownership and names. All of this data has to be updated in a timely fashion and additional marketing campaigns may be needed.
- Major Algorithm Changes – Google is constantly changing their algorithms to accommodate end users, as evident with the recent Panda, Penguin and Pigeon updates. Not keeping informed of the changes can result in that penalties will affect your overall rankings and search engine visibility. Without an SEO to help you, you could lose your search engine traffic altogether.
SEO is critical to the growth of your hotel. We hope that our list gives you an idea of when you should implement SEO into your hotel marketing plans or hire an expert to do it for you. Exponentially, the benefits are enormous and to go without it will surely hurt your online marketing in the long run.